Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Polar Heart Rate Experiment

I have been having a virtual discussion about indoor cycling versus real cycling with my pal Bob and it has me wondering what is the difference. The only way for me to really find out is to go ride a bike outside for the same time and see how I do. Now if I owned a bicycle, it would be helpful, but as I have yet to find the one I want I am going to just go for a walk up the mountain this afternoon. The Temps are just over 100 degrees here and there is a bit of a breeze. In other words perfect for a walk about the desert.


The image looking up the hill on my street. This hill used to be a major cardio killer for me. Now I don't even think about it as I climb up to the trail.

Today, I decide to go counter clockwise. It means I walk about 1/2 mile further down the street to a 2nd entrance to the Park and will walk back up to the main entrance through the desert. The reason is simple. WATER. There is a water fountain at the main entrance and I have enough water to get there with reserve if I go this way. If I go Clockwise I have just about a mile more to go to get to it. Safety my friends is nothing to mess with in the desert in August.


As I get to the trail it is pretty hilly but empty. As a matter of fact other then 1 Mountain Biker, I have it to myself.


Pretty soon I am pretty much climbing an easy grade up to where the this trail meets the Telegraph Pass trail which takes me back to the house.

It is hot out and I am going through my water at the proper rate. The reason for this was to see about how it compares to my bike riding at the house. So I am about 40 minutes into it and take stock via my cool new Polar Heart Monitor.


I am cooking at about 94% and have burned about 750 Calories. Not bad and I really do feel really good.


I look even better. You can see the houses in the distance where I started up in the top left of the picture.


Funny it rained two days ago here.....honest smile


By the time I get to the junction of the trails I am feeling good, but the weather is there and I still have about 1.5 miles to get back to the house. Most of it will be down hill but still not a lot of shade.


Back on the street for the walk back down.


The final tape as I walk into the garage. My heart rate was down to 83% of max and I had burned just under 1200 calories in just over an hour. Average Heart Rate was 146 and max was 170 which must have happened as I was climbing out one of the steeper washes. So a great workout but not all that more than the Mighty Schwinn to Nowhere.


The AC inside felt pretty good though smile

See ya next time.

Tommy

No comments: