Saturday, July 5, 2008

Printing Pictures in California with the Master

Ok, so I am behind on getting the last of the Colorado pictures up. I will do that tomorrow once I get some things done here at the house. Over the past two days I have been in California learning how to take the next step in my personal journey of writing and photographing the worthy universe. My pal and over all great photographer, zen master, and number one husband to a wonderful artist Scott Adams allowed me the chance to go print some of my work on good printers.

What I learned in this short time was not just about making a print that will sell, be seen in a gallery, or be worthy, but that without friends who care about what you do as much as Scott and Patricia showed me, you might as well find a fast train to sit in front of.

This is his post which shows what we were up to that he has allowed me to paste here. .

"My Uber-worthy-friend arrived yesterday, gifts in hand, and loaded to the gills with computers, cameras, and most important -- image files!

We spent the afternoon discussing the relative merits of various image processing software, talking about style, photographic instincts, and how to get a mental picture into a camera and then out of a printer looking like our "vision" of the scene before us. I don't have to tell you peoples who frequent this place that Tommy has great instincts for photography, and his passion about it has accelerated his learning and experience curve so quickly that a lot of us are jealous.....

Well, in person, it quickly became apparent to me that he's on the road to real artistry, and that those "apparent" good instincts really are fabulous and natural, and almost unconscious in his way of seeing. You can't teach someone to see... teaching them not to let the equipment get in the way is easy!

So... up early this morning.... infused with our drug of choice....




Two-shocks begins the process of selecting, editing....




Decisions, decisions....



Meanwhile... from the bowels of the giant machine... LARGE prints begin to emerge....



When I told him that only "perfect" prints get to leave "Studio-de-Couch" facilities, he seemed a bit perplexed... especially when I made him rip the offending "non-perfect" print to shreads... but just look at the one in his right hand!



Someone looks happy with his work!





The kid is a natural...

Now we readily admit that none of this is as much fun as, say, a 12k service on a K1200GT... but we'll just have to suffer. \:\/
_________________________
Twas a good day's work....

Worthy, Tom, worthy....

_________________________
Our last print of the day, and a fitting "parting shot," is this glorious panorama. This photo proves the maxim that good photos are often, "F/8 and be there!"



Tom, thanks for spending time with us, sharing your photography and life with us...."

Scott and Patricia, I really wish that we lived closer as I do with most of my good friends. The ride home last night got me into a pretty good storm.

This was just outside of Tonopah around midnight last night. Best kind of 4th of July you could ask for.


No comments: