Sunday, April 1, 2012

Mr Tommy Goes to Washington

Those of us living in this Republic spend a great deal of time complaining about Congress, voting the same people back in more often than not and yet we know so little about how government works or what the city is really about.

I have recently gotten to spend some time working in DC with our government relations people trying to influence our Congress on some issues that are important to my company as well as I believe the good of the country.

While there, I have the opportunity to celebrate my wedding anniversary with my wife as well as explore the town with my our dearest friends Larry and Louise. It is going to be a great weekend!

We are staying at the Liaison Hotel in DC. It is a block from the Capitol and I recommend it to anyone. They really took amazing care of Laura and I. Sending up a very nice bottle of Champagne and Chocolate covered Strawberries for our anniversary.

Its Friday and we set off to see the sites. My office is right across from the Capital. I mean right there and I take the gang up to see our technology center

Think of it as a way to show people in government what products we build and how we are working on some very cool technology.


The conference Room in my office. I have no idea if that guy has any real power.

From there we head up to the penthouse area where we hold functions.


It is a great view and I am really happy I get to share it. This is the first time ever I have been able to show my wife anyplace I work.

From here we set off to see the National Gallery and explore the museums. It has been years since I got a chance to have several days to explore DC. And the weather is great!


My man checking out some of the paintings done in the first part of the 19th Century. Very Very cool stuff here.


The stories these paintings tell. You get sucked into each of them

We wandered around some more and found some painting by foreigners

[img]http://azkaisr.smugmug.com/Friends/DC-TRIP-2012/i-5jH7Mvj/0/M/041-M.jpg[/img]
They had some pictures by this french guy.


Some Italian Guy who seems to never get the ladies to smile.

We looked at a lot more but I didn't take many pictures. Some of the things we saw were amazing, others I didn't enjoy. Picasso is beyond me I am afraid. I walked right by Samuel Morse's Picture of the Louvre only to read afterwards what it was and what it meant. It is now going to be a goal of mine to learn more about these paintings and go back and spend several days there.

From here we went over to the Air and Space Museum. It was super crowded, I felt like I was at work and I have seen these all before. I want to go to the new annex but I am not really sure I will go back to it again.

It speaks volumes that other than a quick shot I posted on Facebook, I took only one picture in the Air and Space Museum. One of Curtis' motos


We did have a grand dinner at a swank DC Steakhouse but prior to going we had a drink in the bar and it is here we discovered the "The Incumbent"

The next morning we rise early and decide to walk the mall. Friday had us log about 6miles And today we are planning to do a bit more.



The weather is amazing! Even the Birds are hitting the pool this morning.

We head out and decide to stop at the "Newseum" which Tripadvisor gives high marks.


WOW! This museum is one of those places that I am so glad we stop at. It is NOT free like the Smithsonian Museums, but worth a visit. They give you an orientation movie that explains the museum and then allow you to go off and see exhibits. We stay almost 3 hours exploring.


It is good to know that somewhere out there ALF is still Front Page Material. The Newseum puts out over 50 Front Pages every day. It is fascinating to read them in a row next to each other.

It is not until I get to the roof and look towards our Capital that I finally figure out what is really wrong with Washington.


THE CANADIANS ARE TRYING TO TAKE OVER!

Scary people...scary


The bathrooms are hilarious there as they have tiles with real life headlines that I am sure the editors would love to have another shot at.


We are in a merry mood as we leave and decide to lunch at a local hot dog stand prior to moving out and seeing more of the Mall.


It is fun to watch the people in DC.

After Lunch we begin the march down the mall






Once we got to the Lincoln Memorial, I found the trips "Album Shot"


We are a week early for the Cherry Blossum Festival in DC but the Winter has been so warm, we are seeing them in Full Bloom. It makes Louise Happy which means we all are!


The Jefferson Memorial is our final stop and we are pooped. We then head home via Cab to some great Fried Chicken. What a glorious day!

Sunday arrives and we are off again to see a few more sights concentrating today on the Natural World


Who doesn't love dinosaurs!?

My children love to think of me as an overgrown Caveman and relish the stories about the last Ice Age that my Dad and I lived through.


I don't know where they get it from


I will miss you Fluffy


I had no idea they have a Jesus Perez Exhibit going on in DC


Of course they have to bring this up....


All I want is to get my wife a little something to remember the Trip with.


We spend the last night in Georgetown.

We will be back DC. There is still so much to see and do. And a special note of thanks to Larry, Louise for joining Laura and I. Too often we go months without seeing each other, but never doubt that both Laura and I treasure every single minute we are together. In a Black and White World, I am glad I have you in our lives.

Tommy

No comments: